What is Astrion™?
Astrion™ is a proprietary blend of highly purified and fractionated extracts of two Chinese Qi herb: Astragalus membranaceus and Centella asiatica.
- Astragalus membranaceus, also known as Milkvetch, is considered to be one of the most important traditional Chinese medicines and has been used with various different natural remedies and herbal blends. This plant may reduce the physical and metabolic effects of ageing.
- Centella asiatica, also known as Indian Pennywort, is a traditional medicine that is mostly used and renowned in Ayurveda but has some usage in traditional Chinese medicine. This plant may inhibit a group of enzymes that break down collagen while simultaneously increasing the rate that collagen is synthesized.
Why is it important?
As all collagen is derived from animal sources, supplements containing collagen are not suitable for vegans. However, collagen is a vital component of the body playing a crucial part in our body’s structure. This includes our skin, hair and nails and internally our bones, joints, tendons, ligaments, muscles and organs. As we age our collagen levels reduce, leading to the physical signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles.
Astrion™, being completely derived from plant sources is an effective alternative to taking actual collagen. It has been shown to support the body in maintaining its existing collagen and also help stimulate further production.
The science of Astrion™
Astrion™ works by triggering the body’s regeneration mechanisms to increase the synthesis of new collagen and hyaluronic acid. In clinical studies Astrion™ has been shown to increase collagen synthesis in the dermal layers of the skin by up to 80% and in the epidermal layers of the skin by up to 60%. It also improves hyaluronic acid synthesis (the molecule that keeps the skin looking and feeling soft and hydrated) by up to 20%. By enhancing the body’s own natural ability to create more of these vital compounds, Astrion™ is able to improve the quality of the skin.
In clinical trials it has been shown to work as a collagen stimulant, reducing lines and wrinkles by 15% and lowering the melanin index of the skin by 17% after 4 weeks.
Astrion™ can be used in place of collagen, or even alongside collagen to enhance its effects.
Research shows that Astrion™ supplementation helps to:
- Promote dermal (inner layer of skin) and epidermal (outer layer of skin) cells ability to synthesise collagen
- Promote dermal and epidermal cells ability to synthesise hyaluronic acid
- Reduce the number and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce discolouration due to sun damage
- Firm, tone, and hydrate skin